When moving house, clothes, shoes and accessories are some of the last things people pack. However, moving is challenging, especially if you have a large closet.
You can hire a professional moving company to pack and move everything from clothes to electronics, books and more—efficiently and effectively. Visit https://www.cbdmovers.com.au/removals/removalists-melbourne/ and ask for a quote.
However, if you want to pack all your clothes yourself, follow these tips to streamline the closet-moving process.
Sort and categorise
Before you throw all your clothes in boxes and smash a label on the box, take some time to sort your items into different categories.
You can divide your items into the following groups:
- Material: Categorise your clothes on the basis of material like cotton, silk, wool, etc.
- Season: Sort your clothes by season. For instance, if you are relocating in the summer, pack all your winter clothes inside a storage unit ahead of moving.
- Similar items: Pack jeans with jeans, shorts with shorts, shirts with shirts, etc.
- Person: Make sure each person in the family has their own packing boxes and supplies.
This will keep everything organised throughout the move.
There is no point in carrying outgrown or old clothes that you don’t use anymore. Before you start packing, decide which clothes to keep, donate or sell.
Some of the ways to purge your clothes are:
- Donate clothes, shoes or other accessories that are in good shape to local charitable trusts.
- Sell items that are still in fashion on online marketplaces and earn little extra money.
- Host a garage sale to sell your used household goods and clothes.
- Giveaway the clothes that no longer fit you to your friends or relatives.
3. Gather packing supplies
Clothes are susceptible to wear and tear. To make sure your favourite dress or pair of jeans doesn’t get damaged during the move, provide adequate protection to them.
Gather all packing supplies like:
Cardboard boxes: Pack anything from heavy jackets to sweaters in cardboard boxes. You can get cardboard boxes anywhere from online stores, electronic shops or recycling centres.
Wardrobe boxes: These come with a bar where you can easily hang clothes just like your closet.
Suitcases: Cheapest and an excellent way to pack clothes and shoes.
Duffel bags: These small bags are ideal to pack clothes. Make sure to fold your clothes before putting them in duffel bags.
Vacuum bags: These reusable storage bags can protect your clothes from harsh weather conditions.
Without the right materials, the relocation process can become stressful.
However, if you are hiring reliable removalists in Perth, then you need not to worry about anything. They have everything from packing supplies to a moving van and equipment to make your relocation a breeze.
4. Use drawers
When moving a house, you’re usually dealing with a chest of drawers.
It’s recommended to load the drawers of your dresser or study table with lighter clothing items such as socks, towels, nightclothes and lingerie.
Use plastic wrap and tape to seal all drawers so that the items remain in place and don’t fall out on your way to the moving truck.
Moreover, wrap the dresser with moving blankets to avoid damaging your walls.
Lifting a dresser or table can cause a serious injury to your back. Hire the best removalists in Ballarat who have years of experience in lifting, loading and unloading heavy furniture and electronic items.
5. Pack shoes separately
Packing shoes can be quite tricky if you’re not prepared.
Some tips to follow are:
- If possible, pack shoes in their original boxes
- Being extremely versatile and affordable, use shoe bags as the an alternative to traditional shoeboxes
- Whether you’re putting your shoes in a box or bag, wrap each one with the packing paper
- Fill the space inside shoe boxes with foam peanuts or newspaper
6. Handle delicate clothes with extra care
You should not toss your expensive wedding or party dress in just any old box when moving.
Delicate clothes like dresses, hats, leathers, silks, cashmere and chiffon require your utmost attention and care.
Some tips to follow are:
- Pack sensitive clothes in wardrobe boxes
- To protect cashmere and silk clothes from moths, pack them in compression bags
- Use hardshell luggage to pack valuable items and prevent them from getting damaged or wet during transition
- Label all your boxes containing delicate clothing pieces as “handle with care”
Hire top movers and packers in Sydney who have years of experience in packing and moving sensitive and expensive items.
In the end…
Packing clothes may sound nerve-wracking but don’t worry.
Whether you have a tiny closet or your clothes are bursting at the hinges, these tips can help you successfully pack your wardrobe no matter how many outfits you have.
However to make sure everything goes smooth on moving day, hire experienced and licensed movers. Visit this website to seek help.